[Gllug] Embedded Linux systems?

Paul Nasrat pnasrat at uk.now.com
Mon Sep 3 16:32:01 UTC 2001

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 04:21:55PM +0100, John Hearns wrote:
> Does anyone have good ideas on small and hopefully very cheap
> embedded Linux systems?

How cheap and what architecture?

Homebrew/open hardware

LART  http://www.lart.tudelft.nl/

available from http://www.aleph1.co.uk/armlinux/LART/index.html

Probably too expensive though

PLEB http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~pleb/

Various PC-104 or DIMM-PC's (www.jumptec.de) uk reseller www.dpie.com

Price guidelines

http://www.emjembedded.com/cgi-bin/america/setframe.cgi?spec+JUM

Else cardpc

http://www.cellcomputing.com/

http://www.emjembedded.com/cgi-bin/america/setframe.cgi?spec+CEL

> I'm blue skying an idea for a system - specs would be that it
> has a modem, and capable of running Perl.

None of above necessarily have inbuilt modem but can have serial (or pcmica
expansion) on most of those.

There are also various PPC embedded boards.

I've bought from www.steatite.co.uk, does larger Lanner Embedded SBC's

> I'm fairly sure I can prototype this idea on an iPaq, but am looking
> for a cheap system.

Umm, depends how cheap :)

Old 486 toshiba laptops are quite hackable.

Paul

--
"we apologise for any inconvenience" - God's Last Message to His Creation
Courtesy of Douglas Adams

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk