[Gllug] sorts of ports

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 8 22:42:01 UTC 2001

On 01 Sep 2001, Jon Masters stipulated:
> On 01 Sep 2001 14:21:59 +0100, Kieran Barry wrote:
> Exactly, me too. I remember writing my first client/server app in 1996
> or something - that is the best way to learn how these things work :)

I remember debugging someone else's first once; someone who thought that
TCP/IP was a message-based protocol and that there was a one-to-one
mapping between write() at one end of a connection and read() at the
other...

Fixing *that* was a bundle of fun, especially because he didn't
understand what `modularity', or, for that matter, `local variables'
were, either.

(Or `dynamic memory allocation'; read() into a buffer just slightly
longer than the message we expect to receive, in a daemon running as
root. Great move.)

--
`It's all about bossing computers around. Users have to say "please".
Programmers get to say "do what I want NOW or the hard disk gets it".'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk