[Gllug] OT: Announcement

Ian Norton bredroll at dsh.org.uk
Sat Sep 1 00:04:10 UTC 2001

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 05:36:38PM +0100, Jon Masters wrote:

> Are you certain? They probably still let udp/53 go out and _probably_
> haven't bothered to restrict which hosts that can go to. Hence people
> use that port often from Universities around the world to access the ICQ
> login servers... :)

nope, essex have a fairly tight thing, they are old school bsd people running
stuff (afaik), they have a sizable contingent of linux worksatations in labs

udp 53 doesnt go out, there is an internal dns linked to a mac static, dhcp
server, you have to reg your card with them,

all web access is via proxy or ssh,

> Do they stop everything leaving the firewall? It probably depends upon
> the ICMP packet type that you are sending out, you know.

nope , no ping :-) they just didnt think to try it before writing the app :-P

> That won't be easy at all. I gather upon connecting to ssh daemons the
> server announces the protocol version/revision information however when
> connecting to an HTTP server it does not so you would find it very
> difficult :) What some people do is get the system to accept a
> pre-determined sequence of events until which at a specified point the
> next connection will be ssh - e.g. by sending your computer an email
> containing the time and a password for when you want an ssh sesson to
> appear.

i thought about that, maybe an option

> Having said all this, they probably still let standard http traffic out via a cache and you can of course use GNU httptunnel to encapsulate this too.

seemed almost (but not quite) as round the houses as icmp encaps :-)

bredroll

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk