[Gllug] Video card recommendation

Ian Norton bredroll at dsh.org.uk
Sat Sep 8 08:40:32 UTC 2001

Although linux compatibility for voodoo cards is very well and activly
supported i would not suggest you get one of those although the voodoo3 is the
only modern 3d integrated pci card ive seen (afaik)

it has served me well, thats because i like playing homeworld in wine using
DRI, but my early days with it werent all so fruity,

the voodoo3 heats up like mad, even when its not doing cool 3d stuff. i had to
screw an old 486 cpu fan to its heat sink.

it was responsible for reducing the uptime of my workstation to about 10%
normal,

dont buy a voodoo card > 2. voodoo 1, voodoo2 and voodoo banshee if you can get
them are fun to play with,

i would personally reccomend if you just want a little game every so often and
would like linux support a ATI Rage 128, they are cheap and work well and linux
kernel supports DRI for it :-)

bredroll

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk