[Gllug] simple lan

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Tue Sep 18 15:21:45 UTC 2001

On Tuesday 18 September 2001 16:09, you wrote:
> No. My guess would be it's because you're using a patch cable without
> a hub. If you're connecting two machines directly, then you'll need a
> crossover cable (or is it straight through? I can never remember which
> is which).

Crossover for straight thru and uplinks, patch for the rest. I think he
mentioned he was using cross, though.

I want to know how he managed to ping from a Mac - please share this golden
info ;))

I would guess that there's a problem with the Mac TCP/IP setting. It might
not like 10.0.0/24, because that's a bit odd (I know it doesn't like setting
a DNS search root to something without a dot in it too, depending how early a
version it is). I would do a tcpdump on the linux box while trying to view a
web page on the Mac or something, and see if anything at all comes through.
Otherwise, sounds like a dodgy cable.

Are the link lights lit?

Cheers,

Alex.