[Gllug] automagic DISPLAYs

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Tue Sep 18 10:48:18 UTC 2001

On Tuesday 18 September 2001 11:33, you wrote:
> I want to get the DISPLAY environment variable set to the hostname from
> which I logged in from, anyone think of a reliable method?

grep who for the 'FROM' parameter, I suppose. Depends - do you want to be
able to get name 'A' when logged into 'C' via 'B'?

> Don't suggest ssh X redirection, machines have no X libraries :)

My ssh isn't linked with X - I thought it just tunneled a standard
connection? I suppose it depends how it sets up the connection - it could
always ldload - I've never had ssh on a machine without X.

I can think of one evil way. Run dynamic dns. On your X machine, make it set
xhost.localdomain (or whatever) on the named to its local IP. Then, in your
login scripts, set DISPLAY=xhost.localdomain:0.0 (assuming you don't have
anything fancy on the X terminal).

*ugh

Cheers,

Alex.