[Gllug] Reading M$ files

Chris Ball chris at void.printf.net
Mon Sep 17 19:06:31 UTC 2001

On 17 Sep 2001 19:58:37 +0100, John Edwards wrote:
> > We've been handed a Microsoft Works 2000 file, extension .wdb

> I thought that Word 2000 still used the same .doc extension and
> file format as Word 97.

It does. The file is from Works 2000, not Word 2000.

> ".wdb" is not listed as a recognised file extension on my NT4
> virtual machine with Office 2000.

You don't have Microsoft Works installed, then.

> > Nothing (abiword, StarOffice, ...) seems to want to read it.
> > Anyone got any ideas?

> Try "string FILENAME | less" to look at the ASCII dump and search for
> some thing like (Word.Document.8), indicating Word v8 (aka Word 97).

Same suggestion, though the commands is 'strings' rather than 'string'.
You're not going to be able to get formatting out of it, but the
plaintext will be buried in there. If you needed it to print/look at
with formatting, you're going to need to ask for an .rtf or ascii
version. I'm not aware of any open source Works viewers.

~C.

--
$a="printf.net"; Chris Ball | chris at void.$a | www.$a | finger: chris@$a

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk