[Gllug] Video card recommendation

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Mon Sep 3 13:07:45 UTC 2001

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001 gllug at codex.net wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Richard Cohen wrote:
>
> > I would suggest Matrox - it's worth getting 32Mb, which means the dual head
> > (no-one seems to have single-head versions...) G450 with 32Mb RAM is what
> > you want.  Should cost around £90 including postage from a couple of places
> > online (CCL, Aria, Dabs).
>
> IIRC i saw a dual head G550 at one of the TCR fairs for 99 quid.  dodnt
> know how much memory it had, but i'd guess 32 meg.

Yeah, G550 is available in a few places now, but I don't know how good the
Linux support is.  I plan to buy one at some point, but not until I know I
can get DRI-accellerated OpenGL and (ideally) usable TV-out for DVDs (you
can do with with a G400, but it's messy, and I don't know about the G450).
The G400 is great under Linux, nicely supported, open source driver (closed
source if you want TV-out or digital flat panel out under X), but given the
recent news about DRI - no-one is actually funding development any more -
I'll hang back on replacing it until I know things are good with the newer
cards.

I get more than 50fps in Q3 - it's enough for me :-)

Cheers
Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk