[Gllug] Remote logouts

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Thu Sep 27 17:58:08 UTC 2001

Dylan wrote:

>Can I set up a script on a workstation which will allow me to remotely
>shutdown or reboot my server remotely without manual rlogin? Ideally I'd want
>a link on my desktop which would at most ask for the server's root password.

I'll jump in here with both feet.

I  that you could think of the scheme:
rsh -l root server   reboot
But the very though of doing that gives me the fear.
rlogin and rsh are not good security-wise, AFAIK.

>Lastly, is it possible to run an X-windows session over a remote login?

Yup.
Easier though to use ssh and let it sort it out DISPLAY etc. for you.
Have a look at my old mate Alan Flavell's description:
http://icfamon.dl.ac.uk/ppncg/fom/public-html/fom-serve/cache/66.html

And for this remote reboot idea, you should think of ssh as well.

Sorry to the ssh-savvy people on the list if I have made a fool
of myself.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk