[Gllug] What to do in 151 days?

John Edwards john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Tue Sep 25 22:16:41 UTC 2001

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 01:06:32AM +0100, Axel Segebrecht wrote:

> Ok folks, this one is a bit silly but I think it's bound to produce some
> entertaining posts:
>
> Q: What would you do with a 'system' that has:
> 4 Terra Herz CPU speed, 4.3 Terra Bytes of Memory and 15.3 Terra Bytes of
> disk space (not forgetting the lousy 54GB of pure GFX memory)
> ... and 151 days (that's 3540 hours) to play with it?

How about climate modelling ?

SETI and prime numbers (and Quake) are interesting academic problems,
but climate modelling is getting important as global warming increases.
We could find out the areas most likely to suffer disaster years before
they occur (assuming that organisations care enough to prevent it).

151 days is a bit of a short timescale though, such a project should be
ongoing, refining predictions as new data is avaiable.

We could always go for a short term modified project, say how long before
the Whithouse and the Bushs' ranch in Texas are [under water|suffer drought|
destroyed by tornados|etc]. That might get someone's attention.

--
|    John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com                          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk