[Gllug] PSU fans, MTAs etc.

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Sep 24 13:44:48 UTC 2001

On 9/24/01, 1:29:51 PM, "Paul Brazier" <pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk> wrote
regarding [Gllug] PSU fans, MTAs etc.:

> I've heard the sendmail has fallen from favour but it still sets the
> "standard" for other MTAs to follow?

Not really.  They follow the smtp standard and can mostly be configured
to use sendmail alias and virtusertable files (allowing them to be used
as drop-in replacements for sendmail in many situations).

Sendmail has a whole address-rewriting language and complex series of
mail-processing procedures which allow you to do some very intricate mail
filtering/routing.  It also retains support for a whole set of legacy
mail-delivery apps/protocols.  The complexity of the rewriting language
is unnecessary in the majority of sites.  The legacy protocols are for
the most part not supported by newer mtas as they were developed after
smtp became king.

Most things that can be dome with sendmail can also be done with
postfix/qmail/exim.  It's just a matter of creating the right combination
of look-up tables and mail transports/pipes.

If you want a career as a sendmail admin, install sendmail.  Otherwise
it's an overweight dinosaur.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk