[Gllug] Saturday

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Sun Sep 23 11:56:08 UTC 2001

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 08:04:12PM +0100, Chris Ball wrote:
> wonder if emacs - as with the relationship I think exists between vi and
> pine - is more powerful once you get the hang of it.

There is no relationship between vi and pine!  Using them together is a
painful experience (was for me, anyway, thankfully it drove me to go and
find Mutt).

Emacs <em>is</em> more powerful.  It simply does more.  But they are not
the same kind of tools at all.  Vi (or which ever of its improved
descendants you actually use) is an editor that you use with and from
within other apps.  Emacs, otoh, is an app within which you can build
other apps (newsreader, mail client, spreadsheet etc) to the extent that
some people do everything within Emacs and cease to notice what
operating system they are using.

--
Bruce

It is impolite to tell a man who is carrying you on his shoulders that
his head smells.