[Gllug] new Debian install

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Sun Sep 30 12:45:40 UTC 2001

On Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 10:37:32PM +0200, matthew at marbit.freeserve.co.uk wrote:
> All,
>
> Installed Potato onto a Libretto with the minimum trouble - Red Hat didn't want to BTW.
>
> However I have neglected to select some modules and would like telnet and ftp functionality. I have a network connection to a Linux box and a Windows box.
>
> Could someone please explain in terms simple enough for me to
> understand how I install this functionality?

You need to install the relevant packages.  telnetd for a telnet
service, for ftp you have a choice (ftpd, wu-ftpd, proftpd).

So to install (say) telnetd and proftpd do:

apt-get install telnetd proftpd

You may be asked a few questions to configure the packages and at the
end they'll be up and running.

As for the choice of server, ftpd is simple and insecure, wu-fptd is
complex and insecure and proftpd is complex and secure.  It doesn't make
any difference to you at the start - they'll all work out of the box.
They will all default to giving you ftp access to your home directory
using your login password.

--
Bruce

You can fool some of the people all the time, you can fool all of
the people some of the time but you can never fool your mother.