[Gllug] sorts of ports

William Palfreman william at palfreman.com
Mon Sep 3 19:07:17 UTC 2001

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, David Damerell wrote:

> Er, not quite.
>
> Normally your Ethernet (or modem) hardware knows nothing about TCP/IP
> at all, including IP port numbers. IP packets are entirely
> encapsulated in packets for the lower-level transport, like this;
>
> /here's the stuff your Ethernet /this here is an IP packet   \\
> |card understands, that tells   |that the Ethernet card will ||
> |it this is for this machine and|pass unchanged to the OS and||
> \not a lot else.                \contains an IP port number  //

Tut tut Mr Damerell, years of experience and confusing newbies with
talk of IP port numbers?  I think it was you who advised me to the
O'Reilly TCP/IP Network Administration (a great book, BTW).  Surely you
are talking about TCP and UDP ports, as as we both know, IP packets don't
have port numbers, right?

Regards,
Bill.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk