[Gllug] Video card recommendation

Rob Andrews rob at impure.org.uk
Mon Sep 3 14:10:18 UTC 2001

[03-Sep-2001 14:55.16 (BST) / tet at accucard.com]
 > No, they didn't. The HAL library is only needed for the G200 and G400.
 > The G450 driver contains native support for things like dual head etc.,
 > which previous relied on the (closed source) HAL library. All I have is
 > the standard mga_drv.o (and mga_dri.so), and it all works just fine...

Odd. The mga_hal.o module was *required* for *any* output when I had the
G450, whereas the G200, G400 (and Max) in both single and dual head flavours
worked fine without it. Are you sure you're not getting mixed up?

I'm going searching for some docs.

 > BTW, given Red Hat's policy on closed source software, I'd find it
 > *very* surprising if they had chosen to ship closed source drivers
 > for XFree86.

Hmmm. Didn't they supply the binary-only driver for the voodoo 3 during the
later years of XFree86 3.x ?

--
<pgp> 0x8bb5c71e  "This Basil. This Basil's hand. This smack on the head."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk