[Gllug] On topic - NT licensed connections

Lee Blackwell lee_blackwell at eur.3com.com
Thu Sep 20 17:02:50 UTC 2001

> However, it's kind of loose - the amount of checking is fairly minimal
> (at least, I've never had problems with it) and the security is
> non-existant. It doesn't (AFAIK) impose limits on anything non-NT:
> just Windows connections, it doesn't enforce the limit across apps.
> Now, SBS-NT was a bit different - that actually does do some strict
> checking, esp. wrt Exchange and things, and has a 50-CAL limit in
> total.

My 2p worth...

Way back when Apricot had an ISP division, we had per seat licenses, and
it regularly locked out connections from other servers when the limit was
reached.  This was a pain, as the other servers were authenticating
dial-up users ;-)

As for per server licenses, I've never seen a server refuse a connection
based upon license issues, always down to application software or OS
instability.

HTH,

Lee

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk