[Gllug] Video card recommendation

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Mon Sep 3 11:07:52 UTC 2001

>I know the entire spec. for the box except that I know nothing about the
>current state of the video cards that are supported and available. What is
>the best Linux open source supported video card for less than 100 quid? I
>don't need anything special like TV out or dual head.

>From my perspective, I'd have to say a Matrox G450. I know others
would disagree, but I've had nothing but joy from mine. It gives the
crispest, sharpest image I've ever seen, and 2D performance is great.
I've never had any problems with 3D performance either, but apparently
it's not as good as the latest GeForce or Radeon cards. And as a
bonus, you get dual head thrown in, and Matrox supported open source
drivers for XFree86.

RRP has just been dropped to 93 quid, but you should be able to pick it
up a fair bit cheaper than that.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk