[Gllug] Enabling network services with Rehat 7.1

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Sep 19 10:31:00 UTC 2001

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 11:19:22AM +0100, aaron southwell wrote:
> Sorry to butt in to this trail but I have a similar question, but am probably
> less up with Linux.  I am running httpd and Tomcat on my pc, connected to our
> lan.  Whereas any other pc can access the Tomcat server on 8080, I am only
> able to access httpd on 80 from localhost.  ssh and telnet are also both
> unaccessible on the lan.
>
> I ran netstat as below with the following results:
>
> tcp        0      0 *:http                  *:*                     LISTEN
>   938/httpd
> tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*                     LISTEN
>   807/sshd
> tcp        0      0 *:telnet                *:*                     LISTEN
>   4712/xinetd
>
> Is there anything obvious I should be looking for.

It could be that your firewall config doesn't allow it, try:
	service ipchains stop
and then try to connect again. But beware: your machine will be open to unwanted
connections until you go:
	service ipchains start

If that does work look at the rules in:
	/etc/sysconfig/ipchains
you will need to enable some more things.

--
Alain Williams

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk