[Gllug] LDAP

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Mon Sep 24 15:07:17 UTC 2001

So, in a ceaseless quest to be as lazy as possible I've started down
the LDAP path. I've got as far as setting up a basic OenLDAP server,
and I am now setting up a Kerberos server to make the entire thing a
touch more secure, but after that I'm going to start running into
interesting brick walls.

Has anyone had a play with LDAP? One of the things I'd like to be do
with minimal grief is to centralise my user administration, and only
have to create an LDAP entry to let someone log onto any machine that
I feel they should be able to (creating the home directory if it
doesn't already exist, for example) Whilst pam_ldap allows me to do
the authentication, I doubt that it'll create the account on the fly
(oh yes, no centralised storage here, either, but that'll be the next
thing on the list) and I'm not sure how to go about checking the
access rights on a per-server basis.

Anyone got any pointers? All the FM that I can find get as far as
"here's how to set up the server" and then seem to avoid going any
further down the road and present how to do all the cool things that
LDAP should allow you to get away with....

Regards,

Simon

--
Handy phrase: "Why did you do that?"