[Gllug] Open Network Monitoring

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Wed Sep 26 10:45:04 UTC 2001

Over the last few months, I've been following the OpenNMS project,
and am on the mailing list.

I've had lots of scars from installing it in the past - taking days of
effort, and having to install umpteen things like JDKs and Tomcat.

I'm rather pleased to report that I just tried an install of the latest
version, on a Redhat 7.1 box, and it went like a dream.
I've now got an open source network management system, with a working
web interface in about ten minutes!

Mind you, its not actually DOING anything at the moment, but
it looks like it will be possible to email alarms etc.

It is one of these network based installs - the command is:

lynx -source http://install.opennms.org/stable | sh

So those of you who are security paranoid should maybe avoid
this install method.
The instlall script installs lots of software packages -
like Postgres, Tomcat etc. etc. etc. so be prepared for that.
I'd really reccomend installing on a box which you use for tests,
probably a fresh Redhat install.

Oh, and due to licensing you need to install the IBM JDK
version 1.3.0-9.0 or above first

BTW, supported platforms for the auto install are Redhat and Mandrake.

Also reported to work on Debian, Slackware and Solaris.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk