[Gllug] HP Compaq?

Gordon Joly gordon.joly at pobox.com
Thu Sep 6 10:26:18 UTC 2001

At 10:54 +0100 2001-09-06, John Hearns wrote:

>Take one letter off WNT. What do you get?
>
>It's VMS - and developed by Dave Cutler.
>http://www.rephil.org/vmsnt.html

I heard that. Ages since I used VMS

Anybody got an 11/750 they could lend to me?

>Hate to say it, but there was a time, long ago,
>when there were great hopes for NT  - remember that it has a HAL,
>and once ran on x86, ALPHA and MIPS architectures.
>AFAIK, many research institutes and universities wanted to migrate to it
>straight from VMS.
>I know it is shocking and provocative to say this, but at the time heavy-duty
>scientific computation wasn't commonly done on Unix.
>Unix was for researchy types in CompSci, not for big butch mainframes.
>(OK, OK, there's UNICOS on your Cray).

Yes, indeed. And MVS with JCL on large IBM machines in Cambridge
(Phoenix being the user interface).

I preferred TOPS-10 of course, with TECO. A man called.... one wrote
a set of macros for TECO... he decided it should be called eMACs.

>There's a very good article by Ben Segal in the CERN Courier,
>charting the emergence of Unix/Linux in this sphere.
>http://cerncourier.com/main/article/41/6/15/1

Cheers!

Excellent links...

Gordo