[Gllug] Dazed and confused

Gabriel Rocha grocha at neutraldomain.org
Mon Sep 10 19:50:16 UTC 2001

,----[ On Mon, Sep 10, at 08:35PM, Matthew Bunter wrote: ]--------------
| Two computers :
| One running Windows connected to Internet with modem. Have NIC in Windows box, IP = 192.168.10.100

is the windows machine doing natting?

| Laptop (IBM Thinkpad 570E) with RH 7.1, Kernel 2.4.2
| NIC is Xircom RealPort2 - I haven't been able to find this on any hardware comp list.

if it comes up under linux, dont worry about it, just keep track of what
driver it uses and remember it when/if you reinstall/recompile kernel.

| When booting I get an error message that something failed. If this is the same as the message obtained by dmesg then it is : autonegotiation failed; using 10mbs.

what are you using to connect the two machines? do you have a hub
between the two? or crossover cable?

| Done my ifconfig stuff, added the default gateway and a route but when pinging I get destination host unreachable.

ok, is either machine doing nat for the other? how are you determining
the gateway?

| Matt (Sorry it's Red Hat waiting for Debian to be delivered) Bunter

Whatever works for you, dont be fooled into thinking one thing is
outright better than another, they are different and its very much up to
personal tastes...

--
"It's not brave, if you're not scared."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk