[Gllug] del/backspace in 'write'

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Mon Sep 17 15:25:28 UTC 2001

>Interesting! [reads man stty] Does this look good?: (debian potato)
>
>steve at bartgs186:~$ stty -a
>speed 38400 baud; rows 24; columns 80; line = 0;
>intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^?; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = M-^?; eol2 =

The "erase = ^?" says that when your terminal receives the key sequence ^?
it will erase the previous character. Next you need to check what key sequence
your terminal is sending:

	infocmp $TERM

You're looking for an entry for "kbs", which is the backspace key. See
terminfo(5) for more details. If the backspace key is sending the same
key sequence that your terminal settings (as shown by stty) expect,
then you'll get the action you expect when you press the key. If they
don't match, you won't. Note that infocmp may show ^? as \177.

Hope that helps,

Tet

PS. To further complicate things, if you're doing this from within X,
    then your X modifier map may be mapping another physical key to
    delete and/or backspace, but we'll ignore that for now...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk