[Gllug] Dazed and confused

Richard Clamp richardc at unixbeard.net
Tue Sep 11 20:55:56 UTC 2001

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 07:34:50PM +0100, William Palfreman wrote:
> Personally, Debian pisses me off.  All that "Software in the public
> interest" stuff is just so cloying and icky.

Is this a variant on the GPL issue, or something new and improved?

>                                               Also, the stable version is
> incredibly out of date.  Its all very well when you on some kind of
> broadband, but on a modem downloading all those updates is mental.  I
> don't want something to be so out of date I can't use any of the supplied
> packages for fear of security holes, and I don't want to be bleeding edge
> either as that brings its own problems.

Handily they provide a third and fourth way, look at
http://www.debian.org/security/ or just add this line to your
/etc/apt/sources.list

 deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

And the fourth way is the testing distribution, newer than stable, more
stable than unstable (though I've never had any serious issues with
running unstable).  It's a dessert topping *and* a floor wax.

>                                          I mean, what's with all those
> debian patches anyway?

Do you mean the patches that make the packages follow the FHS, or the
ones to make the packages build on architectures other than x86?  Or
even the ones that fix bugs that haven't been integrated with the
upstream sources?

--
Richard Clamp <richardc at unixbeard.net>
Curious debian-powerpc user