[Gllug] wwwoffle or squid? (or something else?)

gllug at uncertainty.org.uk gllug at uncertainty.org.uk
Wed Sep 19 21:33:36 UTC 2001

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 08:20:52PM +0100, Stig Brautaset wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In my house we are three people that connects to Internet via a
> dedicated machine running debian potato. The only services running is
> currently diald (and obviosly sshd ;). This is a pentium 75 with 24
> megabytes of ram and about a gigabyte disk free. I think it is about
> time for it to start pulling it's own weight around here, so I want to
> set up an http proxy/cache and wanted to know whether anybody has any
> opinions.
>
> I have heard rumours about squid being the best of the best, but I was
> thinking that maybe wwwoffle is better in my case since it is targeted
> specifically towards dialup systems.

I run squid on a cyrix 200MMX ~40Mb 3.2Gb RH 7.1

I have been amazed at the difference it makes - especially to things
like linuxdoc - some of those pages are Mbs of text but I often get
access speeds of 10Mbit/s (cached).

I often used to download tar.gz's of large documents - now I trust squid
to save docs for me - and keep them up to date :))

Also I filter out most ads (by domain and url regex) this cuts about 1/3
of my bandidth usage that would go to bvanner ads.

and I am the only one using it - so with 3 people you will get even more
benefit.

configuration is pretty simple (I didn't get transparent proxying to
work but it's a kludge anyway)

I don't have any problem with dial up - I run 'pppd demand' and as far
as squid is concerned there is always a connection available.

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk