[Gllug] AOL and AIM

ChrisJS at aol.com ChrisJS at aol.com
Mon Sep 3 17:25:30 UTC 2001

> It's better for AOL if people don't use clients that unify several
>  messaging services into one, because they want to control the market
>  (and also, presumably, offer paid services) and they can only do that
>  effectively if everyone uses their service (and once they get a bunch
>  of people on AIM, everyone will use AIM because everyone else does);
>  clients that allow you to use several messaging services in one
>  unified way are very bad for that.
I think the main reason AOL are concerned about other clients using their
network is not that they want absolute control over the network; Its more
that bad clients for their service will reflect badly on them, so they want
some control to protect their own name. The idea seems reasonable, though I
agree it is not a great way of going about it.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk