[Gllug] Encription advice appreciated.

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed Sep 19 11:51:58 UTC 2001

>Well, I encrypt my home directory at home, after a friend of mine was
>(wrongly) accused of a crime and had his machines seized.

Encryption wouldn't help you in that situation anyway. You either
hand over your key to the appropriate government agency or spend two
years in jail (thanks to the wonderful RIP bill). The only solution
is a filesystem that supports multiple keys to give multiple levels
of content. You hand over your "i've been arrested" key, which gives
them access to some harmless data that you've prepared in advance,
and you keep your "real" key for your sensitive data. A suitable
steganographic FS will even hide the existence of the sensitive data
in the first place. I don't know if anyone's coded such a filesystem
for Linux yet (does stegfs do this?), or whether it's just theoretical
at this point...

>Unless you run without swap, the spooks can probably recover some
>data from your swap partition.

There are patches to support encrypted swap available.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk