[Gllug] 1U Cases

Chris Ball chris at void.printf.net
Thu Sep 6 15:33:03 UTC 2001

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 07:09:59AM -0700, jackson harry wrote:
> Has anyone seen anything like this and are they cheap
> (Case Only) I would love a small rack of five or six
> low grade pc's (Wouldnt we all) I want a few PC's but
> space is a problem. Do the cases cater for the older
> motherboards or do you have to customise them to suit.

I bought the case for the oft-mentioned spoon.pkl.net box from
xinit.co.uk for £110; which is a reasonable price for a 1u case.
You'll find the 1u cases (and 2u) are a lot more expensive than 4u,
since 4u is getting to the size (remember, the 'u' is measuring the
height of the case) of a normal desktop machine. A 1u case is best
suited to a Micro ATX motherboard, and a Celeron/Duron size chip - the
heatsink of a pentium III/IV alone is too tall for 1u in many cases. :)
You should also note that a 1u will be unable to accomodate PCI cards
without a 'PCI riser' that lets them sit horizontally rather than
vertically.

Hope this helps,

~C.

--