[Gllug] simple lan

David Irvine co2cool at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 18 18:56:21 UTC 2001

Leigh Mason wrote:

 >hi all
 >i have a patch cable from an imac to a vaio laptop  which i  use for file
 >exchange via tcp/ip
 >within browsers. (macOS and w98). i am trying to do the same thing when
 >running
 >linux on the laptop (rh7.0, 2.2.16) but i can't even get the mac to
ping to
 >the vaio and vice versa.
 >i've configured the eth0 with linuxconf and checked the:
 >/etc/sysconfig/network, hosts and host.conf  files and  ifconfig.
 >all i thought i had to do was assign an ip and subnet for a cross over
 >connection.
 >do i have to do anything with the routing table?
 >
 >any clues as to what am i missing?
 >
 >thanks
 >
 >leigh

Routings  not my strong point but it may  help to run tcpdump and see if
anything is being broadcast on  the network cable when you ping. It may
help you work out what is wrong, also check your firewall, make sure it
is allowing traffice from the networks through.

Make sure your subnet masks are right, and that there is a default route
set up to go to eth0

Oh  and this may sound silly  but check the lights on the nic, make sure
it is signalling there is a link, and that traffic is going accross it,
usually  the light blinks when a packet is transmitted, check it does so
when you ping.

HTH - but please note i  reserve the right to be totally and utterly
wrong about this.

David

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk