[Gllug] New Microsoft Licencing scheme

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue Sep 18 13:46:07 UTC 2001

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 9/18/01, 2:15:37 PM, Timothy Coggins <tc at sonicated.com> wrote regarding
Re: [Gllug] New Microsoft Licencing scheme:

> On Tue, 2001-09-18 at 13:42, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> > > If someone agrees to it then of course it is legal.
> >
> > A contract is not legal just because you agree to it.  That is a basic
> > principle of contract law.  You can challenge an unjust contract even if
> > you signed it.

> Indeed, however in this case the user agrees that Microsoft can
> "extinguish" the license as it pleases which looks to me to be perfectly
> legal (IANAL). If the user doesn't agree to it then they do not use the
> product (which is one of the reasons I use Microsoft products as little
> as possible).

> I can't see a case standing in court where Joe User says "I agreed with
> Microsoft that they could extinguish the license at their will but now
> they have I want to sue them". Can you?

Why not?  It perfectly accords with the principle that an unjust contract
is an unjust contract whether or not you signed it.  Whether or not, no
matter that, irrespective of the fact.  It would be up to the user to
make the case but the court would not dismiss the suit a priori.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk