[Gllug] Billennium! Party!(?)

Martin Ling martin at pkl.net
Sat Sep 8 06:22:47 UTC 2001

martin at nomad:~$ perl -e 'print time'
999928673

For the uninitiated, that's raw, internal Unix time; the number of
seconds since January 1st, 1970; and, hence, a good rough figure on the
age of Unix itself.

It's also got a rising number of 9's, and generally looks suspiciously
like it might be about to trip over to 1000000000 quite soon. In fact:

martin at nomad:~$ perl -e 'print scalar localtime(1000000000)'
Sun Sep  9 02:46:40 2001

Which is, ooh - quite soon.

Needless to say, I'm not the first or only person to notice this, and
there's already several geeky parties that *aren't actually on IRC* <fx:
shock horror!> planned, notably I understand in Copenhagen amongst other
places.

But, hell, I'm I little tired of travelling for now (round and round the
UK, HAL, Amsterdam, San Francisco, California, Nevada, Burning Man...).

So where's ours? :-)

Reply, or give me a call on 07944 122393, if you fancy a guaranteed,
100% pure, hopelessly geeky bit of fun for this sad little event, and
perhaps we can arrange something.

See some of you at TCR & random activities today...

Martin

dust, dust, sucking your energies...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk