[Gllug] 8139 driver problem

Jim Bailey jim at lateral.net
Thu Sep 27 14:54:02 UTC 2001

On Thursday, September 27, 2001, at 12:54 PM, William Palfreman wrote:

> Many Realtek cards are unreliable.  In fact, with any Realtek Ethernet
> card my first reaction to this kind of problem is to replace it with
> something better, like a modern £com 3c59x type thing.  You can get them
> for about £35 now.

I have been using Real Tek, 3com and intel cards on a variety of machines
and have yet to notice any real difference between them. other than the
intel and 3com costing anything up to 4 times as much.  All of my machines
at home are rt8139 and about a third of the machines here at work
including our file server.

Could a networking type guru please explain to me why 3com/intel are
really worth so much more of my hard earned money.

Thanks Jim

"Your argument is as thin as soup made from the shadow of a pigeon which
has starved to death"
--Abraham Lincoln.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk