[Gllug] "We Linux users have been doing all that for 10 years."

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu Sep 27 13:13:30 UTC 2001

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 01:40:57PM +0100, Gordon Joly wrote:
> <quot>
> As if that weren't amazing enough, the new operating system allows users to
> "leave programs running while switching quickly between different
> identities".
>
> We Linux users have been doing all that for 10 years.
> </quot>
>

> Err ten years. Since 1991 eh?
> P.S. Any Version 6 UN*X users out there?
No, V7 my earliest. But before then I used various other OS that were architecturally
multi user (OK: I admit it: IBM & ICL mainframes) rather than a single user
OS that has been converted to run multi user. The problem about the conversion
is that many of the apps assume that they are only working for one user &
so have global save/config/... files.

So although the OS is (or perhaps maybe - let's wait & see) multi user, the apps are
not of the same mindset ... but M$ can blame the ISVs for that.

******

On another note: it occurs to me, is there any metric of OS efficiency ?
I am thinking of something like with a vehicle you have a 'payload', ie the
useful weight that it can carry. This can be divided by the empty weight of the
vehicle to get a rough measure of efficiency.

What would be nice is these %age figures for various OS. This would give an idea
of how much is wasted just keeping the OS together. Note that (in Linux terminology)
I am not just talking about Kernel usage, but also the cron jobs for things like
'rmmod', 'updatedb' (for locate), etc.

I would like figures for %cpu & %memory (assuming a 128Mb system).

Comments ?

Would this be worth a bit of research ?

--
Alain Williams