[Gllug] I have forgotten my root password, I am a muppet.

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Wed Sep 5 09:27:13 UTC 2001

Jim Cheetham wrote:

>Boot from tomsrtbt, mount your disk's / partition on /mnt, go in there
>and edit the passwd/shadow file to remove the password for root.

Oh, that's too obvious.
My way is much more fun, and gives you the chance to wear your black
hat for the day.
Seriously though, its a good opportunity to get to know password cracking
tools.
(And yes, before the howls start, there ARE legitimate uses for John the
Ripper etc.
Cracking tools can help you, as I've said, recover systems, teach you
just how
easy it is for real black hats to run these things, and also to check for
weak passwords.)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk