[Gllug] simple lan

Leigh Mason leigh.mason at virgin.net
Tue Sep 18 14:56:21 UTC 2001

hi

i can't cut 'n' paste because i have no method of placing the data onto
another medium. (no internet conn' due to winmodem (and i cannot access
linux partition via msDOS)). so, i've manually typed the output from the
files you mentioned:

ifconfig -a

eth0  link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 08:00:46:07:56:AA
inet addr:10.0.0.1 Bcast:10.0.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
TX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
collisions:0 txqueuelan:100
Interupt:9 Base address:0xfcc0

lo   Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:3924 Metric:1
TX packets:50 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
collisions:0 txqueuelan:0

netstat -rn

Dest        gateway     genmask         flags   mss    window  irtt   iface
10.0.0.0    0.0.0.0     255.255.255.0   U       0      0        0     eth0
127.0.0.0   0.0.0.0     255.0.0.0       U       0      0        0     lo

the mac has web sharing enabled. in the tcp/ip control pannel the connection
method is ethernet configured manually - with an ip addr :10.0.0.2 and a
mask:255.255.255.0.

the nic is a:
intel 8255x-based pci 10/100

i guess that the card is being detected because i have an hardware address
appear in the ifconfig output??

Q. do i have to have any network services running on linnux (inetd.d) for a
icmp to respond?

thanks

leigh

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk