[Gllug] DVD on Linux

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Mon Sep 10 13:49:30 UTC 2001

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Axel Segebrecht wrote:

> has anyone got experience with running DVD on Linux?
>
> i have a Matrox G400 dh and was just curious if it
> was possible to watch DVD on dh over the Matrox.

My G400 can play DVDs quite happily (with 2xPIII-550 underneath) fullscreen
or in a window, in X or on the fb console.  One limitation of the G400 Dual
Head is that only one of the heads can be accelerated for this kind of
thing, and that head, by default, is the first (monitor) head.  MPlayer -
which I'm starting to like, particularly since it now has libdvdread (which
is a *very* good thing - DeCSS, DVD .NFO parsing and so on, all in a
library) support in CVS - has some hackery which will give you accelerated
output on head two - I have a long SCART lead running into the living room
to watch DVDs on my big TV.  iPAQ with wireless networking rocks as a remote
:-)

Warning - if you do try the second-head output stuff from MPlayer, take it
slowly and sync your disks a lot.  If you know what I mean :-(

And no, I'm not coming over to set it up for you :-)

> MTIA, Axel
> http://smatrix.de

Cheers
Richard