[Gllug] LDAP

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Tue Sep 25 12:50:57 UTC 2001

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 12:26:03PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On 9/25/01, 12:05:48 PM, Simon Stewart <sms at lateral.net> wrote regarding
> Re: [Gllug] LDAP:
>
> > And to add to the mayhem, it'd be nice if the various programs that
> > are littered around my system actually made an attempt to authenticate
> > against LDAP (eg. screen savers, sudo, etc) Any ideas? Or must I write
> > some perl to open a named pipe at /etc/passwd and to query LDAP for
> > each and every line. Not elegant, and prone to disaster if the server
> > is unreachable....
>
> That's what pam is for.  Most password-protected Linux apps use pam
> thes e days (sudo and screensaver included).  You just need to set
> up pam properly. If you were using samba/winbind and ldap you would
> have a choice of authentification methods to use.  The neat thing is
> that this is all transparent to the applications.

*kicks self heartily*

Okay, things are happier now that I've had a wander around
/etc/pam.d.... Perilously close to not seeing the wood for the trees
atm.

PAM is, indeed, a wonderful thing.

Cheers,

Simon

--
"I collect rare photographs... I have two... One of Houdini locking
his keys in his car... the other is a rare picture of Norman Rockwell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk