[Gllug] simple lan

Kieran Barry kieran at esperi.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 17 22:55:49 UTC 2001

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Leigh Mason wrote:

> hi all
> i have a patch cable from an imac to a vaio laptop  which i  use for file
> exchange via tcp/ip
> within browsers. (macOS and w98). i am trying to do the same thing when
> running
> linux on the laptop (rh7.0, 2.2.16) but i can't even get the mac to ping to
> the vaio and vice versa.
> i've configured the eth0 with linuxconf and checked the:
> /etc/sysconfig/network, hosts and host.conf  files and  ifconfig.
> all i thought i had to do was assign an ip and subnet for a cross over
> connection.
> do i have to do anything with the routing table?
>
> any clues as to what am i missing?

host.conf (I think) is obsolete: it has been replaced by nsswitch.conf,
but it shouldn't affect anything. And nsswitch.conf Should Just Work.

Usually, the devil is in the detail, so we need to check the basics.
Could you cut'n'paste the output of the following commands into an
email?

/sbin/ifconfig -a # tells us the IP address and interface info
netstat -rn       # tells us the routing stuff.

Similar info on the mac would also be useful.

If you can, tar up the output of dmesg, /etc/sysconfig/network and
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and stick them on a web server, then post
a url here. It would also be useful if you could let us know what
network card you're using in the vaio.

Cheers

Kieran

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk