Elite - was Re: [Gllug] Random password generation

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Tue Sep 11 11:32:42 UTC 2001

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Simon Trimmer wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, jim wrote:
[snip random passwords]
> > How about using the ELITE random planet name generation algorithm? I'm
> > sure it's fairly thoroughly documented somewhere. I remember I wrote a
> > version of it myself once, unfortunately lost to a hard disc crash.
>
> Probably offtopic but I'm feeling nostalgic :)
>
> You could take a look at Ian Bell's Elite pages; the one that keeps getting
> shutdown, he has a load of stuff in the file archive (e.g. "BBC 2nd Pro Elite
> Sources") http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/

And then go look at http://home.clara.net/cjpinder/elite.html which is a
reimplementation of that Elite, but in C this time.  It's GPLed (I think),
and portable enough that the same code compiles and runs on Linux and
Windows.  It's pretty good, and the author is working on something called
Darkness Falls, which looks like some kind of sequel - and it might be done
properly this time! :-)

> -Simon
> Simon Trimmer <simon at urbanmyth.org>

Cheers