[Gllug] IDE cables

Jackson, Harry HJackson at colt-telecom.com
Fri Sep 14 10:55:37 UTC 2001

Be aware that some motherboards have an inch or two of track so add this as
well. I have been quoted 16". There are also some IDE interfaces that
electrically double the length of the cable so you can halve that amount. I
am not sure which ones do this but they do exist.

Some IDE interfaces use a checksum (probably the newer ones) to negate
system hangs etc but this is to the detriment of speed. I am not sure which
ones do this either but a check on Google will produce some results.

Question
Is it the interference from the PC or from the other cables running in
parallel. If it is from the PC you would be able to shield it yourself if
you where that keen. You can buy rounded cables now that have the flat cable
rounded into a small diameter but I do not know if these have been shielded.
Apparently this helps in cooling.

I have read an article on this before so have a look on Google.

Harry

COLT Telecommunications
Registered in England No. 2452736
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4 Norton Folgate, London E1 6DQ
Tel. 020 7390 3900

relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.  Any view or opinions expressed are those of
the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk