[Gllug] HP Compaq?

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Sep 6 09:53:06 UTC 2001

On Wednesday, 5 Sep 2001, Gordon Joly wrote:
>>>No, it isn't; for God's sake don't believe everything you read. That's
>>>like saying NT is a UNIX because it has a POSIX compatibility
>>>subsystem.
>>It *is* a UNIX - simply because IBM have the necessary license for the
>>name and they market it as such. It's nothing like Unix underneath, but
>>then neither is AIX.
>I find this very hard to believe.
>Does NT have a kernel? Does it have /proc/?
>Is there always a process "1"?

I think 'it' there is MVS - OS/390 - z/OS - whatever it's called this
week, and not Windows NT.

The argument here is that something is a UNIX if the company who made
it have chosen to license the UNIX trademark and present it as such. I
say this is preposterous (in particular, Microsoft could make NT 'a
UNIX' if they cared to), and that 'UNIX' is a generic word like
'hoover' in the UK or 'Kleenex' in the US - not least because this
makes the word an actually useful one to distinguish computer systems.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk