[Gllug] ulimits

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Sun Sep 2 09:16:11 UTC 2001

On 02 Sep 2001 10:03:36 +0100, Alex Hudson wrote:

> You can't just stop a process. It doesn't work like that. Try
implementing
> it on any half-complex program and watch your machine lock up solid.

That's the challenge.

> scheduling is hardcore compsci.

...and what am I studying? Flying pink pandas? It was compsci last time
I checked. Further, I did happen to spend some time last year reading
through a couple of the more popular books which include an analysis of
scheduling.

> I also don't see the point of cutting off users programs at arbitrary
> limits - what a waste of CPU cycles.

Yup indeed, especially when a user consumes 100% CPU for 500 squillion
hours because they forgot to account for condition X occuring.

> If you are actually serious about this area of research you're on the wrong
> operating system.

Without meaning to be rude, who are you to tell us we are on the wrong
OS?

--jcm

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk