[Gllug] Split

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Fri Sep 21 15:53:42 UTC 2001

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 04:42:51PM +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> Will write re 'splitting' a tar.gz file and then recombining.
>
> I believe re-catting split files together will probably work, but I am not
> sure about splitting.  The unix version of split we use (and I PRESUME Linux
> versions) split by line count, which means the source file has to be a line
> sequential file in the first place.   So a gzipped file may not split into
> the chunks you require.
>
> Why not simply try and and see,  and use cmp to compare the reassembled file
> with the original ?

You can specify to split a file after "so many bytes" using

split -b N

where N is the number of bytes. Depending on who wrote your copy of
split, you can sometimes specify a suffix indicating the units that
the number is measured in (for example "-b 20m" means split after
20MB)

splitting after a number of bytes and catting the chunks back together
works perfectly.

Cheers,

Simon

--
"...and the chicken does magic- it pulls a rabbit out of a hat [POP]
'Oy vey---- where am I?'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk