[Gllug] Hiring servers - uk2.net

Chris Ball chris at void.printf.net
Wed Sep 26 13:53:47 UTC 2001

On 26 Sep 2001 14:42:52 +0100, Paul Brazier wrote:
> Are we getting to the time when high bandwidth connections will be easy
> (and cheap) to get anywhere so you could just stick a server in your
> front room and rent your own personal connection?
> And thus co-location will diminish in popularity?
> Or is this several years off?

Sure, though I think the acceptable use policy of most dialup ISPs will
stop you reselling the connection.  Co-location is good because it's
off-site and protected from, say, theft, if it's done at all fairly
properly it's in a place with *redundant* bandwidth, so there aren't
connectivity outages, and there's also someone on call 24/7 to up a
machine if it goes down.  That's what you're paying for.  People have
been hosting sites for themselves/friends since Demon started giving out
static IPs with modem connections - I'd imagine even before that with
dynamic DNS hackery - and I'm sure they'll keep doing so.  But it
doesn't really interfere with serious co-location or hosting, which is a
different market for different people.

~C.

--
$a="printf.net"; Chris Ball | chris at void.$a | www.$a | finger: chris@$a