[Gllug] Encription advice appreciated.

Stig Brautaset stigbrau at online.no
Tue Sep 18 18:02:34 UTC 2001

* Formi <rcarrera at formi.org.uk> spake thus:
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Formi wrote:
>   I recently got a small notebook, and I would to like encript my
>   /home/formi  directory.
>
>   I am using MDK 8.0, with ReiserFs at the moment, not for much longer.
>
>   Everything is in a 1 GB partition.

I take it this means you don't have a different partition for /home

>   What could I use to pretend to have a bit of privacy in case somebody
>   decides my little laptop is too cool?
>
>   I know that nowdays is a bit egoist to want privacy, but I am a dreamer.

I think (but might well be wrong) that you will have a very hard time
encrypting the only filesystem and still be able to boot from it. You
might be able to solve this by booting from floppy.

It all depends on the nature of the information you want to protect I
guess. If it is textfiles, vim can do encryption. (How good it is I will
probably never know; I have nothing to hide hence I don't use it.)

Regards,
Stig
--
brautaset.org