[Gllug] Video card recommendation

jane taylor jane at moonrose.demNospamon.co.uk
Mon Sep 3 13:27:17 UTC 2001

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001 12:07:00 +0100 (BST), Richard Cohen wrote:

~On Mon, 3 Sep 2001 robin.c.smith at bt.com wrote:
~
~> I'm going to build a new box, it will have to dual boot to Windows 98 so
~> that I can play Grand Prix 3 and various pre-school MS based games.
~>
~> I know the entire spec. for the box except that I know nothing about the
~> current state of the video cards that are supported and available. What is
~> the best Linux open source supported video card for less than 100 quid? I
~> don't need anything special like TV out or dual head.
~
~I would suggest Matrox - it's worth getting 32Mb, which means the dual head
~(no-one seems to have single-head versions...) G450 with 32Mb RAM is what
~you want.  Should cost around £90 including postage from a couple of places
~online (CCL, Aria, Dabs).

I had a borrowed G450 for a temporary card when I upgraded my system
and my ordered card hadn't arrived. It slotted straight in and worked
very nicely under everything, so I can also recommend it.

The ordered card was the rather cheaper ATi Xpert 2000Pro, which also
worked first time and very nicely under Linux when I finally got it!
Windoze was another story... I get errors on bootup both W95 and 2k,
with the supplied drivers,  though none have ever tripped up anything
once booted. Beware. (Plays Quake ok though!)

At this point my SO re-borrowed the G450 as a stopgap for playing
games as his card had died and it managed more or less everything
without hiccups (except EverQuest, which is fussy anyway).

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk