[Gllug] 8139 driver problem

William Palfreman william at palfreman.com
Thu Sep 27 12:54:47 UTC 2001

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Jonathan Dye wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a RealTek 8139 Network card and am running RedHat 7.1 with updated
> rpm's (Including the kernel rpm making it version 2.4.3-12).  My network
> connection keeps being dropped (By dropped I mean it doesn't respond to any
> network traffic even though the link lights are on) for no apparent reason
> and the only problem I can see in the log files is the following:
> media is unconnected, link down, or incompatible connection

Many Realtek cards are unreliable.  In fact, with any Realtek Ethernet
card my first reaction to this kind of problem is to replace it with
something better, like a modern £com 3c59x type thing.  You can get them
for about £35 now.

The other thing you can try is a genuinely up to date kernel - 2.4.10,
instead of whatever the Redhat rpms are currently doing.  They've been
lagging a lot recently, and as I recall there were some Realtek driver
changes about 2.4.4 or 2.4.6.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk