[Gllug] What to do in 151 days?

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Tue Sep 25 11:16:53 UTC 2001

Axel Segebrecht wrote:

>Ok folks, this one is a bit silly but I think it's bound to produce some
>entertaining posts:
>
>Q: What would you do with a 'system' that has:
>4 Terra Herz CPU speed, 4.3 Terra Bytes of Memory and 15.3 Terra Bytes of
>disk space (not forgetting the lousy 54GB of pure GFX memory)
>... and 151 days (that's 3540 hours) to play with it?

Me, being a high energy physicist, would use all the disk space to
store  the data
from a run of one of the LHC experiments. http://lhc.cern.ch/lhc

Take as a for instance ATLAS
http://atlasinfo.cern.ch/Atlas/Welcome.html
This experiment will take data from collisions of counter-rotating
beams of protons at 7TeV.

The data taking rate will be around 100Mbytes/second, of raw
data, which will need to be filtered down for long term storage
and analysis.
I estimate storing a couple of Petabytes per year on your system -
now you DO have some big tape silos to go with it?

As for the CPU, I'll use that up by running as many detailed
Monte Carlo simulations of the detector as I can get away with.

When can I take delivery?

John Hearns

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk