[Gllug] Voice changing

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 8 23:14:11 UTC 2001

On Mon, 03 Sep 2001, John Hearns stated:
> Allen Wayne wrote:
>
>>Hi All
>>
>>I have just been asked to convert a number of audio files from a male voice
>> to female!!! Any ideas on packages suitable?
>
> A subject I know next to nowt about (is it even possible at all?)

It is extremely difficult. Transforming a male to a female voice is
*far* more than just upping the frequency; the very shape of the cavity
used for sound production is different (because of the second laryngeal
drop that males experience that causes the voice to break), so to get it
right you need to reverse the sound back to the laryngeal oscillations
that created it, repeat them in a female larynx/throat configuration and
run the model forward again in there.

This is *rather* computationally expensive ;)

--
`It's all about bossing computers around. Users have to say "please".
Programmers get to say "do what I want NOW or the hard disk gets it".'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk