[Gllug] Learning C

Kieran Barry kieran at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 15 16:56:01 UTC 2001

On 15 Sep 2001, Nix wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, tet at accucard.com said:
> >
> >>`The C Programming Language,' 2nd Edition by Kernighan & Ritchie is a
> >>good one.
> >
> > No, no, no! It's not a good one, it's the *only* one...
>
> I dunno about that, but one to *avoid* is, well, anything by Herb
> Schildt. It doesn't matter how many books he's sold, he's still
> completely crap.

For those who don't know about him, this is the guy who wrote "The
Annotated C Standard".

Beside the bit that said "the main function will return int" he wrote an
example which had "void main(void)". Essentially, his books seem
to describe the behaviour of the first C compiler he ever encountered.

The best comment I've heard about this is "There lurks an epic drinking
game in this book."

And he writes most of the Osbourne books on programming in C or C++.

Regards

Kieran

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk